So, just when we finally get y'all trained to use the Editz button to report copyediting mistakes, guess what happens?
The Editz button starts throwing major errors.
A couple days ago, any page with an Editz button started popping up a serious error message. So we disabled the plugin, and I've been trying (and failing) to get a hold of the plugin developer to see what's going on. I've tried email, Twitter, Facebook, and even (GET THIS) the phone.
Sadly, this is the risk of relying on WordPress plugins: it's all open source, and sometimes plugins get abandoned by their developers, and then it's just a matter of time before the plugin stops working. I'm hoping a can figure out some sort of a solution, because Editz is such an awesome way to crowd-source copyediting, but in the meantime… I guess you'll have to email. (MAIS NON!)